This term in English Year 5 will be:
- Looking at a range of texts, including stories, poems, instructions and explanations.
- Developing writing of characters in writing.
- Recounting events and taking notes.
- Developing a wider range of vocabulary and incorporating it into their writing.
- Writing clear and concise instructions.
- Punctuation for direct speech and extending the range of punctuation used within work.
In Maths we will be looking at:
- Recognising and ordering number (including whole numbers, negative numbers and decimals).
- Recognising and converting between improper fractions and mixed numbers.
- Adding and subtracting fractions.
- Multiplying and dividing numbers, including decimals.
- Measuring, drawing and calculating angles.
- Rounding numbers.
- Solving problems.
Our topic for science this half term is ‘Earth and Space.’ As part of this we will be learning about:
- The shapes and relative sizes of the Earth, Sun and Moon.
- How the three bodies move relative to each other and how these movements relate to night and day.
- Making observations and recognising patterns in first hand and secondary data as well as representing data in graphs.
As part of this we will be relating our scientific knowledge and understanding to familiar phenomena eg day length, year length and to consider scientific evidence about the Earth, Sun and Moon.
Next half term our topic will be ‘Forces’, where we will be consolidating ideas different forces; gravity, air resistance, water resistance and friction. We will develop an understanding of balanced and unbalanced forces and their effect. We will investigate how mechanisms, like levers, pulleys and gears, help us use smaller forces.
Our other topics include:
Volcanos in Geography, where we will learn about how volcanos affect the lives of people on Hiemaey.
In music we will be learning how to play chords on the ukulele.