At St Bees Village School, we want to inspire children to be confident in the art of speaking and listening and generate a culture of children who can use discussion to communicate and further their learning.
We intend for pupils to:
- become confident and effective communicators;
- have the ability to express themselves as individuals, sharing their thoughts and feelings;
- participate in discussions and debates;
- listen and respond to both adults and peers appropriately;
- be exposed to high-quality vocabulary and be encouraged to use this within their own speaking;
- develop a capacity to explain their understanding of books and other reading;
- orally prepare and rehearse their writing;
- speak audibly and fluently, using standard English.