We value reading as an essential skill for life which will support children’s learning across the curriculum.
Through the teaching of reading, we intend to:
- develop fluent, confident and expressive readers;
- provide children with opportunities to read for enjoyment and for information;
- expose children to a wide variety of literature;
- show children how to apply their knowledge of phonics and spelling patterns to decode words with accuracy;
- expose children to sight words to allow for sufficient fluency;
- explore words and their meanings and develop a rich vocabulary;
- demonstrate how reading and writing skills can interlink.
We also intend for parents and carers to recognise the importance of reading and know how they can support their child to read at home. Parents are able to contribute regularly through the use of home-school records.