Welcome to the Year 1 page about the summer term.
This term in Maths we will be following the Effective Maths program and will learn the following:
- Adding single digit numbers to make numbers up to 20;
- Subtracting single digit numbers from 11 to 19;
- Number bonds for 20 and related facts (including number bonds with 3 addends);
- Solving problems involving number bonds for 20;
- Skip counting and representing numbers (revision);
- Reading and writing numbers (numerals to 100);
- Counting to 100 in steps of 2;
- Counting in steps of 2, 5 and 10;
- Identifying and representing numbers;
- Partitioning 80, 90 and 100;
- Identifying groups;
- Equal groups;
- Repeated addition;
- Making equal rows (arrays);
- Multiplication stories;
- Equal groups (division) and Equal sharing;
- Halves and finding half;
- Quarters and finding quarters;
- Developing vocabulary for length and height;
- Measuring with arbitrary units;
- Measuring with non-standard units; and
- Measuring with centimetres.
In English this term we will continue working on developing the children’s phonics knowledge in preparation for the phonics test in June, and the children will continue to work in their Read Write Inc groups, so they can get more intensive help at an appropriate rate, for more information please see https://ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/. In addition to this, we will be doing Talk4Writing in class using different texts and developing our letter writing and character descriptions. We will also be applying the skills they have learnt across the curriculum to develop their writing in Science, History, Geography, RE etc.
Our science topic this term is ‘Plants including trees’ where we will be learning:
- What are the parts of a plant?
- What are wild plants and where do you find them?
- What are garden plants and where do you find them?
- What makes a tree?
- What types of tree are there? (Trees that live around my school)
- What’s the difference between trees?
After half term we will be recapping the topics covered over the year to reinforce learning and deepen it further.
Our other topics are:
- Geography - ‘What is it like to live in Shanghai?’
- History – ‘How have toys changed?’
- Music – ‘Having Fun with Improvisation’ and ‘Explore Sound and Create a Story’
- RE – ‘Is Shabbat important to Jewish children?’ and ‘Are Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur important to Jewish children?’